We don't put our bananas on the bottom as the recipe calls for. If you do that and you don't finish the whole pie, the bananas will get brown and slimy. So we do one of these two things. 1) Just slice them on top as you are serving or 2) Slice the bananas into a seperate bowl and let people put them on when they put whip cream on. The other side note about this. When you are heating the milk and everything on the stove, stir constantly! It will burn very very easily. I use a whisk the whole time. If you start to see the little black things floating, just don't scrape the bottom anymore. Hope this helps and enjoy another one of our favorites!!
-Genevieve
Ingredients:
5 Tbs cornstarch
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 c milk
3/4 c half and half
3 egg yolks
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1 c whipping cream
1 baked 9-inch pie shell
2 bananas
1 pint whipping cream
Directions:
Mix cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a 3- quart saucepan. Add milk and half
and half and cook over medium heat until smooth and thick, stirring
constantly. Pour small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; blend
thoroughly, then pour back into saucepan. Cook another 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
Slice 2 bananas into pie shell. Pour the filling over the bananas. Chill
3 to 4 hours. When ready to serve, whip cream and spread over pie.
Banana Crème Pie Crust
2- 9 inch crusts
Ingredients:
2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 c plus 2 Tbs shortening (I use Crisco)
4-5 Tbs cold water
Directions:
Measure flour and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening thoroughly. (I do this part in my Kitchen-Aide with the whisk looking beaters--do it long enough that it has a crumble texture---like little peas. Then Sprinkle water (I put ice in a glass with some water when I start so the water is ice cold) 1 Tablespoon at a time, I then turn the mixer on and off real quick to mix the water around. (This part is the part where things can go wrong---do it real quick on-off, on-off a couple of times.)
Then divide the mixture in half and gather dough into a ball. I then put saran wrap on the counter and put the ball on it and then put another piece of saran wrap on top of the ball and smash it down and start rolling my crust out. When it's a little bigger than my pie pan, I take the top saran off and place my pie tin upside down on the circle. Then grab the bottom saran wrap corner and flip it over really fast. Flute the edges and prick the bottom and sides thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 475 for 8 to 10 minutes.
Tuesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment